Pompadour national stud farm

The stronghold of the Lastour and Pompadour families, the château was founded in the 11th century. Rebuilt in the 15th century, it was offered along with its outbuildings by Louis XV in 1745 to his favourite, Jeanne Antoinette Poisson, who became the new Marquise de Pompadour. Louis XV once again became owner of the site in 1761 and created a stud farm there. Management was entrusted to the Marquis de Tourdonnet. This boosted the reputation of Limousin, which was said to produce the best riding horses in the kingdom for the best light cavalry regiments.

In 1790, the royal stud farms were discontinued. However, stallion production restarted from 1795 and activity took off. The stud farm was then reorganised by Antonin Chebrou of Lespinats, who became director in 1834. Following a still-active plan, he converted stables and pastures and assigned the stallions to the stables attached to the château, the broodmares in the stables and meadows removed from the château and weaning foals to a branch in La Villatte. It also has a racetrack in the meadow at the foot of the château.

In the 19th and 20th centuries, the Anglo-Arab horses bred at the stud farm acquired a solid sporting reputation, winning numerous prizes in contests and competitions. The centre of the Rivière became an important repository of Arab and Anglo-Arab breeds.

In 1999, the Pompadour national stud farm became the main site of the national stud farms. It houses its various administrative departments and the SIRE (Système d'information relatif aux équidés – horse information system), which centralises all the data identifying all horses listed for breeding, racing or riding competitions.

< >

Website on national stud farms

www.haras-nationaux.fr