Collection: Landes General Council / Abbaye d'Arthous © CG40/Yves Veron
Discovered in 1872, the Palaeolithic deposit at the Duruthy rock shelter was excavated several times and delivered a series of objects linked with diverse occupation periods attributed to the Upper Paleolithic. In 1961, Robert Arambourou's excavations unearthed numerous Middle Magdalenian artefacts including several representations of horses carved in ivory, white limestone or sandstone. One of these pieces is a 30cm-long sculpture carved in the round depicting a kneeling horse. It was found beside horse jaws and skulls.