National Car and Tourism Museum, Compiègne © RMN-Grand Palais / Daniel Arnaudet
The first omnibuses were deployed in Paris in 1828 in order to cheaply carry residents along stops dotting some regular lines. The General Omnibus Company (CGO) was created in 1854. Its fleet reached more than 500 carriages and about 6,500 horses covering a total of 25 lines. Heavy carriages pulled by three horses had 40 seats with a rear deck and a spiral staircase to the upper deck on a double-decker. In 1889, new, lighter carriages succeeded them. Accommodating 30 people, they were drawn by two horses.